Me - Trail Runner?
What was I thinking? Ok, I was thinking of trying to perk up my energy. Trying to shed a few pounds? Trying to get my heart stronger. Trying to build more muscle in my legs. Trying to energize my spirit. Trying to get out there and do something positive. And it worked for the most part.
The extra perks I got was meeting a few great people along the way. Even though they are like 20+ years younger then me, some like 30 yrs. younger. When did that happen. I don't feel that old, but the calendar says I am.
Plus I didn't realize how good trail running is for your coordination.
When I say trail running I really mean walking/jogging. As the summer wore on I was able to do more and more jogging, especially on the downhill parts. Mostly still walking the uphill parts, but I was doing that faster toward the end of summer.
About the coordination part. With rocks and branches jetting up from the ground you have to keep your eyes on where you are going or you are surely going to fall.
I have indeed caught the toe of my shoes more then one occasion. Those times are when I have been walking, as those are the times I take my eyes off the trail and try to glimpse a view of the surrounding Palouse.
But then there was the one time when my tumble turned into more then that. I was jogging down the trail and decided it was time to walk a bit and as I decrease my slow speed to even slower down I went. Both ankles twisted, both knees hit the ground, followed by both elbows and I finished it off with both palms in the gravel. And this was going downhill. You have all heard of someone landing on all fours. Well, I landed on all eights. I was able to quickly collect my sunglasses and got seated. But had to sit there awhile before getting up as both ankles were hurting. Nevermind that my capris were also torn. But my ankles were pretty bothersome. Eventually I got up and hobbles the rest of the way down the trail. The lucky part is I was closer to the bottom, then the top. The more I walked the better the ankles felt. I could tell the right one was most hurt. The drive home wasn't too bad after all. It was the following days that got worse.
Xrays showed no fractured or chipped bones, however I did get a message from Dr. office the next day that stated I had a small avulsion fracture from a remote trauma. What? I had to call to clarify. I had injured this ankle in the past. Well, this I don't remember at all. They assured me their was nothing else they could do as this wasn't a load bearing bone.
After 17 days, and this swollen, sore ankle they got a call back to refer me for physical therapy which I will start in a few days. I am confident they can help me more.
My son Jacob said "It has been my experience that you have to stay off it for at least 3 days, they you're good to go, otherwise you'll be dealing with this for a month.
Well, I got that piece of advice too late. I did too much walking around the first 2 days and not enough ice.
A coworker keeps telling me it's going to be bothering me for a year. Oh joy, thanks.
Comments